TODAY’S FORECAST: Musical
So, instead of a lovey-dovey post about how much I love my husband and my kids (you already know I do!) I thought I’d keep this post light today for all you starry-eyed lovebirds. Heaven forbid that I take away from your celebrating! 🙂 For those of you who are feeling somewhat less enthusiastic about the holiday today, well, my brevity will allow for you to go back to your sulking earlier; you’re absolutely entitled of course, but remember you are not alone, because God is there with you today!
In light of the holiday today, I thought I’d share my top 20 list of Valentine’s Day songs and why I love them so. To all of you, have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, and remember, we needn’t just celebrate our love on February 14th, there’s an opportunity to love every day. God bless and easy breathing!
- Collin Raye,”I Volunteer” — This is our song, Bob’s and mine. We danced to it at our wedding and it does just not get any more romantic for me than this.
- Celine Dion, “Because You Loved Me” — This was played at our wedding as well when the wedding party danced. I love this song and yes, I love Celine Dion.
- Four Tops, “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar-Pie Honey Bunch)”— This is our song, Meghan’s (our daughter’s) and mine. We heard it being played on an a mixed CD when she was little and we danced around the living room to it. It’s still our song and we sing it frequently.
- Phil Collins, “You’ll Be in My Heart” — This is our song, Jacob’s (our son’s) and mine. Jacob’s preschool class performed this at “graduation” and they did hand motions and pointed at the moms. Talk about ripping my heart out with a spoon! Jacob yelled out, “Mommy why are you crying?” It’s been our song ever since.
- Bob Carlisle, “Butterfly Kisses” This is the song I danced to with my Dad at our wedding. I cannot hear it without crying. My Dad is so special to me. The line “I know the cake looks funny Daddy, but I sure tried…” is our special line because when I was a little girl and my Mom was working weekends at the hospital, I got up early on a weekend and attempted to bake my Dad a cake. No recipe, just an egg, some flour, sugar and vanilla in seemingly reasonable amounts. It was awful, but he raved at my kindness. When I heard this song I knew it was for us. During that dance my Dad told me how beautiful I was. Yeah, I’m crying typing it.
- Perry Como, “Catch a Falling Star” — This is the song my mom used to sing me when I was a little girl. She and I would sing it together as I grew older and would harmonize on this song and many others in the car, at home, anywhere. My mom has a beautiful voice and a beautiful soul. I love her so very much.
- Jefferson Starship, “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now: — I loved this song, absolutely loved it. I remember watching the movie, Mannequin and hoping I would find someone who would love me enough to steal me away on the back of his motorcycle. 😉
- Chicago, “You’re The Inspiration” — Now who doesn’t love Chicago? My goodness, I could make my own top 20 Chicago list. I love this song just because it’s, well, romantic and it brings back great memories from my younger days.
- Peter Gabriel, “In Your Eyes” — Who does not remember the movie “Say Anything” with John Cusack holding the big “boom box” over his head belting this song for his love. Yep, I’m a hopeless romantic still. 😉
- Air Supply, “All Out of Love”— I do not know any female child of the 80’s who did not bawl their eyes out into a pillow over a lost love to this song. Count me in. I still LOVE this song though.
- Eric Clapton, “Wonderful Tonight” — Funny this is about a love of a different kind for me, the love I had for my 10th grade honors English students at Maumee High School. When I did my student teaching, part of the lesson is that they had to take apart songs and talk about them as pieces of literature. I remember one of my girls doing this song and I went right home and pulled out of my “tape” collection. (Yeah, I’m old!) Still a favorite.
- Whitney Houston, “I Will Always Love You” — Another movie one that still gets me every time. When Whitney runs to Kevin Costner in those final scenes of the “Bodyguard,” forget it, I’m officially unglued!
- Sinead O’Connor, “Nothing Compares to You” — Raw, edgy, but filled with so much passion! So much better sung out loud in front of a mirror with a hairbrush! 😉
- Joshua Kadison, “Beautiful in My Eyes” — I have loved this song since it was released. I karaoked for the first time in front of Bob, his parents and brother, Jay to this song in a local bar in Frankenmuth my first or second year that I joined them on the annual trip to our best family weekend of the year. Mmmm… good memories!
- Mark Wills, “Back at One” — Another of mine and Bob’s songs. We sing this together, complete with counting hand motions. Oh am I going to be so in trouble that I shared that publicly. No, er, I mean I sing and Bob acts very manly and nonchalant. Yeah, yeah, that’s it! 😉
- Berlin “Take My Breath Away” — Now who can forget Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis in their Top Gun love scene. Is it hot in here???? PHEWEEE!!! Love the movie, LOVE the song. 🙂
- Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Sweet Home Alabama”— Now some of you might be wondering why this would be on my Valentine’s musical list. Have you seen the movie? When Reese Witherspoon looks at her mother-in-law and says, “Stella, make it a slow one” and she and Josh Lucas dance. Yeah, I warned you, I’m a sap!
- Les Miserables (Colm Wilkinson), : “Bring Him Home”— Another tear-jerker. If you have not seen Les Mis and have never heard this song, it is one of the powerful production songs I have ever heard. So powerful. Makes me want to grab onto everyone I love. Want to experience it. Go to YouTube. Here’s the link. It’s a song that just sinks into your pores, turn it up. http://youtu.be/OWrY4HWCG6o
- John “Cougar” Mellencamp, “Ain’t Even Done with the Night” — Bob’s and mine again. We just like the song. I can think of no one else except him when I hear it. 🙂
- Chris Tomlin, “Indescribable”— Exactly. There is no way to describe the love I have for my Savior and that He has for me and every one of us. “Indescribable, uncontainable,….. incomparable… you are amazing God!” My BEST Valentine’s gift ever!!!